Of all the furnishings in a home, your rug and carpet experience the most direct traffic which contributes to dirt accumulation and general wear and tear. It is important to keep your rugs and carpet clean and well maintained to not only keep it looking new, but also to increase its longevity.
Five Star Customer Reviews for Oriental Rug Cleaning Co.
I had attempted to powerwash my oriental from when my husband and I got married and I thought I had ruined it. ORC literally saved the rug and brought it back to life! I was sick at heart about the rug until I picked it up and they unrolled it! They were more professional than expected and took fabulous care of dealing with me and my rug. I will be bringing my other rugs since I’ve seen the fabulous work they do.”
Van Alstyne, TX
When you have a free moment and have not done so already, we would love for you to leave a review by clicking the link above. Thank you very much for your time in advance.
Firstly, carpet cleaning can improve the appearance of your home. It can also extend the life of your carpet. But perhaps, most importantly, a vital and valuable benefit from the process is improving you and your family’s health.
According to the American Lung Association, if members of your household suffer from conditions that can affect their breathing, such as snoring or asthma, it’s especially crucial that you vacuum your carpets at least three times a week.
Beyond vacuuming regularly, you may also benefit from having your carpets professionally cleaned at least once a year. If you’re not fully convinced of the benefits of professional carpet cleaning, consider the following top three ways the process leads to a healthier home:
1. Carpet cleaning eliminates trapped pollutants.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, a dirty carpet can retain several sources of indoor air pollutants, including pet dander, cockroach allergens, lead, particle pollution, and everyday dirt and dust. Toxic airborne gases can adhere to these particles and also get trapped within the carpet.
Therefore, these toxic gases can be released through everyday activities. During activities such as vacuuming and walking across the carpet, which can cause them to contaminate the air in your home. Professional carpet cleaning services kills these bacteria through special shampooing formulas and can remove deeply trapped pollutants with high-powered vacuums.
2. Carpet cleaning can clear out dust mite infestations.
Many homes have dust mite infestations, yet most homeowners aren’t aware of the infestation, because the creatures are microscopic. Dust mites themselves aren’t allergens, but they often leave behind feces and body fragments which are.
Because of the microscopic size of these particles, they can easily be inhaled when the area is disturbed, which can exacerbate allergies. Many professional carpet cleaning companies utilize a technique known as steam cleaning when performing carpet maintenance work. Steam cleaning exposes your carpet to high temperatures that dust mites can’t survive.
3. Carpet cleaning can help prevent mold growth.
Especially in areas with high humidity levels, dirty carpets are at a high risk of developing mold growth when exposed to moisture. In precipitous weather, moisture frequently gets tracked into the home and can sink deep in the carpet fibers if not dried and vacuumed immediately.
Having your carpet cleaned regularly can prevent mold and mildew growth. This is because professional carpet cleaners have high-powered drying tools that annihilate moisture. By eliminating moisture, you can prevent mold growth that can be harmful to your health if ignored for too long.
With holiday entertaining in mind, we thought the following tips may be of interest to you. It seems that when food and beverages are served, spills on your carpet and rugs often follow. If you’ve dealt with the resulting spots – during or after a holiday gathering – you’re in good company. Our top three holiday spills and cures are listed below.
Spill #3 – Gravy
People often ask:
How does gravy get on the floor anyway?
Doesn’t everyone pay attention when passing the gravy boat?
Gravy somehow finds its way to your carpet and area rugs, and gravy has edged out whipped cream to make it onto our list of holiday spills.
Spill #2 – Coffee
Coffee and “holiday party jostles” go together like cream and sugar, so coffee drips are almost expected. We have two cures for coffee spills, one for coffee and one for coffee with cream.
Spill #1 – Red Wine
Between making toasts, friendly hugs and general high spirits, spilling wine seems to be a part of every good holiday get-together. Red wine can leave a permanent stain on textiles, caused by both naturally occurring color and added dyes. (White wine spills are just as common … they just don’t become obvious until they become sticky and darker as they start attracting soil.)
Knowing what to do can help alleviate your holiday gathering “carpet spill stress”. Here’s what you need to know:
Gravy and whipped cream spills share similarities in how they are handled:
– Spills with a heavier consistency like creams, butter or gravy can sit on top of the fiber for a short time before soaking into the carpet nap. If the spill is still on the nap and not in the nap, work from the edge to the center using a dull knife, spoon or spatula to get under the goo and remove it before it sinks in.
– Keep transferring what you pick up to a container or disposable towel. Removing semi-solids in this way will make removal of what’s left a lot simpler.
– Apply warm water. At this point making the last of the spilled residue thinner makes it easier to remove.
– Blot up the warm water and residual gravy using absorbent paper or cotton towels.
– If any residue remains, mix a mild detergent solution: ½ teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent in one cup of warm water.
– Apply the mild detergent solution.
– Blot until you no longer detect a transfer of moisture.
– Apply warm water to rinse.
At this point you may want to fold a pad of whitepaper or cotton towels and place them over the spill, then add weight. Change absorbent pad as necessary. Just make sure the weight will not transfer color to the carpet as water is drawn into the toweling.
If the gravy has dried, use the same dull-edged tool to break the residue up and vacuum. Sticky residue can be treated starting with the addition of a mild detergent solution.
– Blot until there is no more liquid being absorbed into white, absorbent paper or cotton towels.
– If coffee color remains, apply warm water.
– Blot up the warm water using paper or cotton towels.
– If color remains, use the detergent solution noted above (½ teaspoon liquid dishwashing detergent in one cup of warm water).
– Blot until you no longer detect a transfer of color and moisture.
– If color remains, mix 1/3 cup of white vinegar with 2/3 cup of water to make a mild acidic solution. The acid solution can work to make the stain less visible.
– Apply the mild acid solution.
If the coffee contains cream it may be necessary to apply a protein-dissolving enzyme. Enzyme products are available at most supermarkets; make sure the product is appropriate for the fiber content of your carpet. Apply the enzyme product, blot, apply water to rinse, and blot again.
– As with coffee, blot the spill to remove as much liquid as possible.
– Skip applying water and go right to applying the detergent solution.
– Blot, apply water, and blot again.
– If the stain remains, mix 1 tablespoon of household ammonia with a 1/2 cup of warm water. Ammonia can help release coffee dyes from the carpet fiber.
– Apply the ammonia solution to the coffee stained area.
– Blot with white absorbent paper or cotton towels until you no longer detect a transfer of color and moisture.
– Apply the mild acid solution (1/3 cup of white vinegar with 2/3 cup of water) and blot. The acid solution can work to make the stain less visible.
– Apply clear water and blot.
Heard the online tip about getting red wine out using white wine? It can work, as wine contains acetic acid. Wine is just a lot more expensive than white vinegar.
Additional tips for all carpet/rug spot removal:
– For removing spills on any rug or carpet, remove as much of the spill as possible before adding water or cleaning solutions. For these stains and those that have sat for a while, professional help will be needed. Call us today or visit our website at www.rugcleanerfortworth.com.
– With all stain removal, think blot, don’t rub. Rubbing a spot can distort the fiber, so even if you get the spill out you could be left with a texture-distorted, fuzzy area.
– A small trigger sprayer can be used to apply any of these solutions and will help control the amount of liquid being applied to your carpet.
– If you happen to have a wet-vac or home carpet spotting machine, you can use it in place of blotting. Most of these machines are more efficient at putting water down than they are at picking water up, so spend more time using the vacuum than adding water.
Discover the value of clean. For instance, cleaning is an investment in human health, the environment, and an improved bottom line. In addition, discover more about the Value of Clean® in this infographic from ISSA, the worldwide cleaning industry association. Meanwhile, and also learn how a modest investment in cleaning can help facilities reap big savings. Most importantly, the health and wellness of your family at home.
Since 1911, three generations of the Amirkhan family have served customers from Dallas and across the country. Our customers trust their oriental and specialty rugs to Oriental Rug Cleaning Company for our expert cleaning and repair services. For more than 100 years, we have continued to build on the knowledge inherited from our founder, H.M. Amirkhan, Sr. What does that mean? It means, “WE’RE HERE TO STAY!”